to schedule your assessment.
Energy Saving Opportunities
- Replace standard light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
- Unplug all electronics when they’re not in use.
- Turn the water heater to the lowest setting when you leave the house.
- Use ceiling fans as an alternative to air conditioning.
- Be sure to power down all computers when not in use.
- When possible, wash clothes in cold water.
- Find and seal all floor, ceiling, window and door air leaks and cracks.
- Check and replace dirty furnace and air-conditioner filters on a regular basis.
- Use all major appliances early in the morning or late at night.
- Use high-density insulation on exterior walls.
- Avoid placing lamps or televisions near the air-conditioning thermostat.
- Insulate the first 6 feet of both the hot and cold water pipes on the water heater.
- Close all shades and curtains at night and keep them open them during the day.
- Install interior or exterior storm windows in single-pane windows.
- Keep the refrigerator temperature between 35°F and 38°F and the freezer at 0°F.
- Manually defrost the refrigerator and freezer regularly to make sure frost build-up isn’t more than a quarter of an inch thick.
- When purchasing new appliances and electronics, look for the ENERGY STAR label.